Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood take 2

Last week I cut the fabric for the over-skirt for N's LRRH costume and then ignored it until Monday, when I finally forced myself to start working on it. Yes, forced. For some reason I was not really looking forward to making this part of her costume. I bought the pattern for it on Etsy, the same seller I bought the dress pattern from and as you may remember in a previous post, the instructions were not the most clear. The over-skirt was a bit better, but I was still worried.

Anyway, I finally started work on it Monday morning and finished it by mid afternoon. It was not as hard as I thought it would be, but I had an unwilling toddler when it came to trying it on for fits to check length and positioning of the straps.

In the end, I'm super happy with how it turned out and think that she could even wear the overall outfit w/o anyone thinking it was a costume. :0)

I'm still debating adding some lace to the sleeves and I may still, but I still have the Hood left to make as well as the pettiskirt. So if I can get those things done in time, I will go back and add some lace to the sleeves of the dress if I still have time.

The back:

The little darling in it. She was a bit upset to put it on for about 2 secs and then was fine with it. Much better then earlier "sizing" checks.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Halloween Costume - Part 1

To say how proud I am of myself would be an understatement when it comes to this dress. After seeing this listing on Etsy for a Little Red Riding Costume, I thought to myself, "How hard can that be really?" There was no way I was spending $170 on a costume for my child that would be worn once, so I went on the hunt for patterns for the cloak and dress. The apron seemed easy enough.

So I did some searching on Etsy and found a pattern for a peasant dress and over-skirt and thought perfect! It was not until I got the patterns that it was not so perfect or easy. As I mentioned, the design was great, the instructions though were not too clear and a bit more complicated then need be.

After some ripping, a little re-write of the directions and changing the measurements to fit my child, the end result is this simple white dress.

What I changed from the pattern was - length, width, added the ruffle along the bottom and I'm thinking about using elastic thread on the sleeves and adding some eyelet lace.

Next I'm going to start the over-skirt. Maybe tomorrow, I have to work a few hours in the morning so I'll see how I'm feeling.

I tried to take some pictures of N in it, but she was in a super goofy mood so they were mostly blurred. I did capture this one though. It looks like she has quite the stagger. hah